Thursday, August 9, 2007

August 9 - Thursday


This dish is one of my favorites. I only make it once a year though. Well, I may make it twice this year since I didn't get to make it last year. The original recipe is for a risotto dish but I don't like the texture of risotto and it's just too mushy and too starchy to have at one go - it's the same reason I can't have just fried rice for dinner - so I use Orzo pasta instead. Yes I know it's a starch as well but at least my stomach has to expend itself a bit to get it digested. Risotto just zips through and ends up sticking to undesirable places. Anyway, I digress. I was a little worried about what mr. roshbosh and cusack would think of the dish. Neither one really likes fancy food and this dish has an unusual woodsy taste to it from the porcini mushrooms, and you use wine and fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano. The original recipe also doesn't include spinach but I throw it in for some color and nutrients. I think Mo gave me that tip? Anyway, they liked the dish. And it wasn't a pacifying "it was good!" sentiment - they mentioned it a few times and for them both that's a sign that they really enjoyed it. My office mate Tiffanee joined us for dinner as well so it was a nice little evening - while the boys watched the preseason Cowboys game Tiffanee and I gabbed. Oh and we had apple crisp for dessert. Nummy!

No comments: